Poisonous Snakes in India
India is a country with many dense forests that provide shelter to a wide range of wild animals, reptiles and insects. The dark and thick woods are the best residing place for reptiles. So, a great variety of snakes inhabit the jungles of India. Some of them are poisonous, and some are not. If you want to know about the most poisonous snakes in India – भारत में सबसे जहरीले सांप this article is for you.
Every year, at least 20,000 people in India die of snake bites.
1. Indian Krait
– Krait venom is so neurotoxic that it can even cause muscle paralysis. Its bite can also lead to immediate death. India is the abode of 12 species as well as 5 sub-species of this snake.
2. King Cobra
– The most poisonous snake in India is King Cobra. It is also India’s biggest snake with the average length of more than 13 feet. Some of them can even be as long as 18 feet.
3. Russell’s Viper
– The local name of this snake is Daboia or Koriwala. This exceedingly poisonous snake species found in India kill thousands of human beings every year.
4. Malabar Pit Viper
– People also recognize it as the Indian Green Pit Viper or tree viper or bamboo snake. They live in bushes, bamboos, and vines.
5. Saw Scaled Viper
– Saw Scaled Viper or Echis Carinatus is again one of the most venomous snakes in India. It has rough scales, large eyes, a stocky body, and a wider head. The habitat of this snake species is soft soil, rock, sand, and scrublands. It east frogs, lizards and a wide range of arthropods like centipedes, scorpions, and big insects.
6. Indian Cobra
– The Indian Cobra, famous as ‘Nagraj’ in India is among the most venomous snakes found in several parts of India. Indian cobras inhabit several places, but they mostly like to live in open edges of forests and fields and also areas surrounding human villages. Its scientific is Naja Naja, and it survives on lizards, frogs, and rodents.
This is the list of poisonous snakes in India. These are the most dangerous Indian snakes that contain the maximum amount of venom. However, remember that all of the venomous snakes available in this list are land snakes. There are several other coral reef snakes and sea snakes. All of these species of water snakes found in the Indian seas have poison far more dangerous than any land snake can ever possess.